Saturday, May 2, 2009

You're American? Really?


Do I look Chinese? Come on, you can tell me. How about Thai? No? Then why are people always asking me if I am? Two days ago I was talking with a shop owner and two ladies came up to me to ask the price of something. "Oh, I'm not the owner", I told them. They looked surprised and said, "but you were speaking Chinese". They should have listened for a few more seconds and then they would not have made the mistake. My conversation skills have a time and topic limit. It doesn't take long for the dictionary to come out. The only time I might be mistaken for Chinese is in the morning when I just get out of bed and can't open my eyes yet. My skin complexion however, is very similar to theirs so I'll give them that. If I walk around with shades on and don't talk, perhaps, maybe, I could fit in. Not really.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Manda I dont think you could pass in the morning either. But than we get away with looking like a lot of different nationalities. Hum, whats in that Heinz 57 blood anyways? Gotta luv it.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.