Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New Job

Ironically, now that we are so close to coming home, I suddenly find work. It's part time and only for this month but was greatly needed. I also have two classes at the same place Frank teaches. This job though, is at a kindergarten about an hour away. I teach and play games with two classes for a half hour each while the teachers take pictures of me. Then I wait for an hour doing nothing until its time for the parents and grandparents to pick up the kids. Then, I am to stand at the door so they can see me. You see, I am a display. Look, we have a foreign teacher at this school. The fact that I will only come twice a week, not teach the same class and be gone in a month is all irrelevant because the pictures say this school has a foreign teacher. This is a very common practice in China, and while it doesn't help the children very much, it does supply work. The hour I waited was spent watching a few teachers practice a dance for a program to be held at the end of the month. They even let me join. It made the time pass quickly. The only downfall to this job is the traffic I have to get through to go home. I was on the bus for 2 hours. I listened to my MP3 player and tried to make conversation so the time would pass faster. I am very glad to have the extra work. I hope when we return, that this sudden rush of job offers picks up where it left off.
Mandy



















2 comments:

  1. Hello Mandy!

    You don't know me, but I'm a friend of Disney's from Tallahassee, Florida. I found your blog through her blog and have been following your adventures in China. I have been learning Chinese for a few years myself, although since I have been doing so on my own (and have not spent anytime in China) my Chinese is bu hao. Maybe one day my husband and I will be as adventurous as you and your husband and move to China.

    Anyway, this long intro is just in order for me to find out where you're going home to. Can you tell me, or are you too famous? Since you know Disney I assumed you're from Atlanta as well, and I would love to meet you while you're home. My husband and I are planning on going up some weekend to visit the friends there.

    Anyway, thanks for your wonderful blog. You're encouraging and entertaining far more people than you even realize. :)

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzy! Welcome to the Blog family! Thank you so much for following us and especially for commenting! We are returning home to SC near Columbia. You can reach me at enhancedenglish@yahoo.com. We would love to meet both of you. Look forward to hearing from you again. When you are on your way to Atl. let us know. We have a lot of friends there too. Maybe we could meet up.
    New friends,
    Mandy and Frank

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.