Monday, May 18, 2009

Hot Tub Ah! Make Ya Sweat Ah!

After over a week of Chinaitis (the stomach version), the chance to relax at a nearby hot springs was welcome. How we missed that this place was so close is beyond me. We have already made plans for regular visits once we return. About an hour out of our city, depending on traffic, we reached a smaller city famous for its hot springs. A friend had done some research and found a Japanese one where all the pools are outside. Most of them are just rooms with tiled pools and the water is piped in. This place however was perfect! Twenty different pools spread out over several acres of dense forest. You can spend all day and go in every pool for as long as you like. There is a restaurant when you get hungry, bathrooms (with paper) and a bar with fresh fruit juice, tea and beer. They even deliver to your pool. Some of the pools were unique. Coconut milk, Sour Apple (like soaking in an apple martini), Strawberry Kool-Aid( which put Frank over the top, soaking in red kool-aid? Can life get any better?) Orange, Rose Water and one with fish that eat your dead skin. That was freaky. It tickled me so bad I couldn't put my feet in without laughing. I have spent years building up the callouses on my feet and the fish swarmed so heavy I couldn't see my feet. I would have had to spend the whole week in there to see a difference. Braver souls immersed their whole body in the pool. More power to them! It was definitely the noisiest pool. Frequent gasps and squeals and even screams as the little fish nibbled away. Massages are extra, but clothes are not a requirement so we passed on that. I learned my lesson months ago. Since we were the only foreigners there, we were a spectacle, and many people came to the tubs we were in to make conversation. This was not relaxing since my brain had to go into gear, but it was worth it since we made several new friends to visit once we get back. My favorite pool was the coconut milk since it made my skin feel so soft, and the rose water which had rose petals floating in it. It was so fragrant, and that's where we were surrounded by people eager to meet us. The cool temperature and a gentle mist of rain added to the occasion making our day a wonderful and memorable experience. If anyone comes to visit, we will you take you there. How's that for bribery?
Mandy
"OWWWW!"-Eddie Murphy as James Brown








2 comments:

  1. Ok, I will just go back with you when you leave here. How about that? LOL. I'll just leave Russ and the kids in the states. That's acceptable, right? Looking forward to seeing you. Your dad was on a job with Russ the other day. It was good seeing him. See you soon, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Very neat... you just bribed me!! : )
    I'm booking an hour for the coconut milk then and hour for the rosewater. The fish; we'll see how brave. : D

    Love, Kel

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.