Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Time To Speak

I have been using my language skills more often now, engaging people in conversation and replying to questions that I now suddenly understand. This has helped me to realize how much I still have to learn. Sometimes, I surprise myself by understanding and being understood. Other times, it is not so much a surprise as a lesson learned. For instance, the other night, an older gentleman encouraged me to take a vacant seat on the bus. "That's ok", I told him, confident in my imagined ability. "At the next station we will end class, thanks." What I meant to say was we will get off at the next stop. 下车(xia4che1-"shah chuh") means to get off the bus. 下课(xia4ke4-"shah kuh") means end class. At least I did not call him something awful. I know that the more I speak, the more errors I will make. This has been one excuse for letting Frank be the one to speak first. However, the result has been a drop in progress while Frank has now become the teacher's pet and corrects me. Hold the phone, this will not do at all! Missing several classes because of illness has also hindered me so I have a lot of catching up to do. I do enjoy seeing Frank praised in class though. His confidence is building and he is not so frustrated as before. But, I am beginning to feel better now and have returned to the classroom. Watch out Baby!
mandy
Public speaking is very easy.
Dan Quayle

2 comments:

  1. Go get 'em Mandy!!! Frank, be afraid, be very afraid.
    Have fun!!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.