Tuesday, February 24, 2009

改变 Gaibian (Changes)

I have recently been going through many changes. We have discovered that February is not the best month to be in China, as most people get sick from the weather changes. It was frigid one day and the next day we were wearing short sleeves. The air changed too, from wet to dry, that drastically. Our apartment, which has been suffering from a severe mold problem, lending to our illness, has now become arid and dusty. That is good for the mold problem but bad for the skin, so our intake of water and fruits and vegetables has increased. Adjusting to a new country requires many changes, some I have not managed to make yet. Along with my physical ailments which are all but gone now, a strong, sometimes overwhelming homesickness hits me at irregular intervals. It hits most people and is just part of the experience, but I wish I was already accustomed to it. I haven't figured out how to anticipate it yet, so it is fresh and new every time. We are happy here but there are struggles。It helps to know that this is normal (I'm normal?Who knew?) and I have friends to sympathize with. And I know that all of our friends and family are supportive of us. That helps so much。
Anyway, amidst these changes, we have also changed our apartment around. The wardrobe we had was so full of mold, it just had to go. Frank sold it to some delivery guy he found on the street and we cleaned the mold off the walls and floor just in time for our landlord to deliver a spare bed. She called this morning to ask if we wanted it and could she come over. I said yes and 2 minutes later she knocked on the door! She must have been outside the building already. We got a spare bed with a headboard and two nightstands. We bought cheap, breathable "closets" to put our clothes in and put them in our room. Things are a little tighter now, but no mold! Our breathing is better and we have room for guests! (Hint, HINT)
Change is good, especially if it is progressive. I am learning that, whatever the change is that needs to be made, I can be made equal to the task with the right help and guidance.
mandy
















































2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you put those pictures of me on there. Where is the love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding Frank-those are our favorites.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.