Monday, July 4, 2011

Last Day of School!


IMG_0882
We found out this weekend, that our last day of school would be on Monday. The school forgot to tell the only student left, Joe. I had to break the news to him this morning. We thought we still had a week left! So, on his last day, Joe had to take my final exam. Bummer. Now we are sitting quietly, he writing a letter and I typing away. Frank will meet us for lunch. I prepared taco salad for Joe. Without notice, he has to get everything together to leave tonight. He spread some things on the back table and labeled them garage sale items. My boss and I bought up what we could to help him out. It didn't hurt that I got a nice cooling pad for my computer and a laptop table for the bed. Got anything else?  He just wants to get rid of stuff because he can't take it all on the bus. His entire school life is contained within a small rubbermaid container and his backpack.  I tossed my curriculum book in the trash and he fished it out. "This is a memory!", he said as he stashed it away inside the rubbermaid. The school locked the dormitory last Friday and he has been sleeping in a spare classroom on a gym mat! What kind of a place is this? And yet, this place has special memories for all of us.  So, one of the best students I have ever had will head home tonight on a bus. I know I have written a lot about Joe, Sun Yi, but if you met him, you would understand. He is the kid that makes you love your job and love him. I wish him all the best, and more!
  IMG_0884
mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.