Thursday, April 2, 2009

YangShuo

YangShuo is nestled withing the famous Karst Mountains. The 20 Kuai bill has a picture taken from these rounded monoliths that rise from the ground as if they pushed from below by some giant force. The city is more of a village with tourist areas everywhere. We spent the first evening wandering the streets of shops. Everyone knows how to say "hello, hello, have a look" I have discovered that most of the items sold as local, traditional crafts are the same from city to city. Apparently everyone has the same traditions and all make the same things. I wonder, if they had tags, would they all say, "made in Vietnam"? hmmmmm. And of course there is a McDonalds and KFC. This is still China after all. We are trying to save room in our small luggage for buying things in Thailand so I did very well here passing things up. Seeing the same items that are available in our home city helped too. The girls went for massages later in the evening. We found a small shop but they directed us up five flights of stairs of what turned out to be a hotel. Hesitantly, we asked who would be doing the massages. "Don't worry, they are all girls". Ok, not as weird as we thought. We split up into two rooms and had our massages. Nothing strange happened and we even enjoyed some conversation with the girls working us over. They didn't do our feet however, so as soon as we were done with that massage, we headed for another place that specialized in leg massages. That was amazing! My girl found a sensitive spot on my foot that indicated lower back problems which I have. At the small of my back, base of the spine is a small spot that no one is allowed to touch. Once the leg massage was over and we were all done, she had me turn around and proceeded to fiercely massage the no touch area. "I can help you, if you have children, this will be very bad for you." The pain was almost unbearable as she tried very hard to rub the muscle right off my back. After two days, it is still very sore and I keep checking for bruises. She is right though,(not about the kids) it does need to be worked out eventually. Now's as good a time as any I guess but man! OUCH!







1 comment:

  1. It amazes me how accurate trained reflexogists can be. I hope that in the long run, it helps. I am glad you are enjoying your vacation and that you have good friends to do that with. Thanks for the pics and updates. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! Sara

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.