Friday, April 10, 2009

Bangkok

Before I begin, my computer has been down for several weeks so stay with me, I will catch you up. Some of it will be out of sequence but I will get it done.
Okay, Bangkok is huge, noisy and full of color and excitement. Here you can jump from moving vehicles, get stuck in traffic because of shirt color, ride the sky train, get caught on a boat in a thunderstorm and so much more. The entire city is geared towards commerce and tourism. Shops are everywhere and many are mobile so they can follow you if you say no. The best part of the city are the people we stayed with. Jeff and Melissa. Friends of friends who knew us just from our blog and still liked us when we met in person. They teach English and Spanish and are studying Thai and Thai Sign Language. Thai Sign is similar to ASL (American Sign Language). I was so happy that we could join their class on Thursday the 9th. I understood almost all of it and Frank even kept up somewhat. It was a big class, 41, many deaf came too, 24 in fact. The class was free and there were plenty of opportunities to practice and learn. It was a very memorable evening.
mandy



4 comments:

  1. I have to say that these are some of my favorite pictures of all. Thank you for showing us your class and some of your classmates. It is very moving that no matter where you go, we are all the same. Glad your computer is back up. How is your back? By the way, you look very nice and very happy in these pics. Have a GREAT day. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been a veeeeery interesting class...We don't just like you guys..we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would have so been the highlight of my trip if I was with you guys! Now you have me intrigued to find out how much Thai Sign and ASL are alike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, your going to come back to Thailand sometime, right? :)))

    ::hint hint nudge nudge::

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.