Saturday, March 14, 2009

Second Time Around

I finally broke down and bought another bike. The market that is now torn down was still selling them so I went with a few friends to find a ride. After being reminded how big I am by every single person trying to sell me a bike, I was frustrated and angry enough to get in a guy's face and tell him how rude that is. I was immediately sorry but he didn't seem to care either way. They really need to find a different sales pitch. I settled on another hunk 'o' junk for 110K. I got them to throw in a lock and a bell for my pain and suffering. The real test was taking it to the same western restaurant where my other bike was stolen. I didn't buy a fancy extra wide seat and it had a low tire, so my bike was right where I left it when we came out. Oh well, guess I really have to ride it this time. I did find that all the walking I've been doing made it a lot easier to adjust to riding the bike again. No sore muscles, or other parts. It has definitely saved money. The first week alone I saved almost thirty kuai. When 100K ($13) is the same as $100 to you, then 30K is a chunk of change. So, the bike has already paid itself off. I still don't venture too far from familiar territory without taking the bus though. I'm just not comfortable with all the traffic, so its safer for me not to try it. I wonder if bike riding is becoming more popular in America with the economic crisis. Don't knock it, it saves money, improves health and gives you time to ponder things. Thanks again to everyone who reads our blogs, we really appreciate hearing your comments.
When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.
Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.






5 comments:

  1. I'm so about to get a bike! How exciting and scary. So has walking saved you money or the bike? How did it save you money? Because you didn't take the taxis?

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdee. I am glad you were able to get a new bike. I am a little jealous. I live so far from everything a bike and walking for daily errands is not practical. I was just wondering what kind of comments I would get about size if I tried to buy a bike there. I shudder to think-LOL. I will be thinking of you over the next couple of weeks, as we all enjoy this time of year so much. Know that you are loved. Take care, Love ya, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey disney!
    yeah, walking saves money not taking the bus, the bike saves money not taking taxis, those things add up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amanda, Tommy and I just got bikes! It was my 150 lbs lost goal gift. I rode it for the 1st time yesterday. I think I about died! It was a good workout.

    I think if less cars start being on the road then bikes will be popular here. I saw a lot of mopeds when the gas was up around $4. But now with it down around $1.75, No one is complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! A bike is one of the things I know I will have to get used to riding again in Thailand. I see more people using them in our area but I'm not so brave yet. (We really do live in the hood at the moment.. I don't even walk)

    I hear you on the "how big you are" comments. I get them now from Lao folks I talk too. They mean well by it but being told I'm "dwi" (fat) by their standards (ie..i'm not 98 pounds) is less than comforting at times.. eh... the things we endure.. ; P

    Love, Kelly

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.