Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Meal to Remember



Our new friends treated us to Hong Kong's famous seafood dinners. This is not a trip to Red Lobster or even a Chinese buffet with all you can eat crab legs. Oh no, this is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Outside the restaurant are aquariums full of sea creatures, some familiar, some not. Our host was handed a paper and he checked off which of the unfortunate creatures would grace our table. Then, we took a seat at a large round table and sipped tea. One by one the entrees arrived. Split lobster with white sauce over pasta, steamed shrimp,heads on; fried calamari served with sweet and sour dipping sauce, a whole fish surrounded by lemongrass and green onions, the head of which was devoured by our friend; whole crab sauteed in butter and garlic, already cracked to help us along. My favorite dish was an animal I had spotted in the tank outside. Our host could not identify it except to say it is in the same family as shrimp. It was about ten times the size of a shrimp. These delicate prawn-like creatures were served fried, dusted with spicy seasoning salt that you licked off before cracking open the very thin shell. The meat was so tender and sweet and did have the texture of shrimp. Every time we thought we were done, another plate would arrive. We also ate a plate of stir-fry vegetables to appease mothers everywhere and finished it off with fresh orange slices. Oh, how could I forget, the chicken feet! Yes, a plate of feet is the perfect complement to seafood. I did eat one. It too was full of flavor, I just had to get past the fact that I had a FOOT in my MOUTH! You can guess Frank's reaction!

It was indeed a meal to remember. Hungry anyone?

mandy


Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.
Lynda Montgomery















































































































5 comments:

  1. Ok. Now that takes the phrase "putting your foot in your mouth" to a whole new level. When you get back, you will have to share some recipes with those of us less traveled. Again, fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing. Love ya, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMANDA,
    WELL WE KKOW YOU WON'T BE JOINING US IN CONCORD AT THE HIBACHI BUFFET AFTER DEVOURING THAT! THE ONLY THING THAT PLACE HAS GOING FOR IT IS THE SUSHI...MMM...GLAD TO KNOW YOU TWO ARE WELL...TELL FRANK HE EVIDENTLY NEEDS TO EAT SOME CHICKEN FEET BECAUSE HE HAS A FEW SERIOUS GRAMMATICAL ERRORS ON HIS PAGE!
    LOVE,
    R & N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, what am I to do? There is no way I am eating chicken feet but I don't want to sound illiterate either! I know, I will use MS Word to write my blogs. It has a spell check AND a grammar checker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah. One more thing...
    Amanda is my editor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hungry?
    Not any more.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.