Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dian Fei (Electric Bill)

We got our electric bill paid right before the deadline. You know how each month you get a paper in the mail that tells you how much you owe? Not so in China! Here your bill is posted inside the elevator on a huge spreadsheet along with everyone else's in the building. Privacy? What's that!? It was interesting to see the contrast between us and them. They pretty much don't use electricity and we do. Our bill was 7 times what they owed!!! Most chinese don't have a fridge, toaster oven, heater, washing machine, computer or any of the "necessities" of westerners. We don't even use them that often! Except for the computers of course. I guess they don't use hot water for showers either. Anyway, I had no idea how to pay it. Others pay theirs at local banks but you have to have an account and a card and the machine that accepts your payment doesn't always work etc. Needless to say, I was not looking forward to this. Then, a few days before the due date, I saw our real estate agent at the bus stop and she agreed to help me on Monday. Monday morning, I came down the stairs to find our landlord waiting for me. She wanted to help me. She took me to get the account number and we set out. After walking about a mile, with her talking about how much our bill is, she stopped at a little post office booth on the back side of the local wal-mart. This is where you pay, she told me. I gave the woman my money, she gave me a reciept and as easy as that, we were done! Who knew you could post letters and pay bills all at the same place? Wonder what else you can do there.? It was so sweet of her to help us. She even took me to her apartment on our way back to get a phone number for me. I couldn't understand a lot of what she said, but I think the number was to a company that sells regulators for electricity so maybe we won't use so much next month. She's so thoughtful. She also lives up seven flights with no elevator and that day our elevator was out and we live on the tenth floor. But my hyperventilating is beside the point.
Mandy

3 comments:

  1. Howdee. I'm glad you are not in the dark. I watched a show about being eco friendly. There was a woman on there that unplugged everything when it was not in use. She said it pulls electricity even if it is not turned on. She was averaging about $192/mo. The next month she was down to less than $100. Maybe you can try that?! Just not on the fridge ;) Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous pics!
    It looks like a lot more electricity is used for outdoor lighting than anything...from your pics anyway.
    And it's the lighting that makes the pictures aye?
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! AND I THOUGHT WE USED A LOT OF ELECTRICITY! YOU COULD TRY ADJUSTING THE TEMP ON YOUR WATER HEATER...DOWN, OF COURSE.LOL. (I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT THAT MEANT, THANKS TO CHRISTOPHER, THE TEXT GURU...I THOUGHT IT MEANT 'LOTS OF LOVE' ALL THIS TIME!)FRANK, WE LIKE YOUR HAT IN THE PICTURE...LOOKS LIKE THE KIND THEY GIVE TO 5 YEAR OLDS AT PARTIES. SMILE.
    LOTS OF LOVE,
    R & N

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.