Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Day

We have recently been experiencing technical difficulty with our internet. That is why you have not heard from us. I didn't realize how much I rely on technology until it was gone. We were going crazy! I find that rather sad. The weather has changed here and when the sun doesn't come out, it affects our mood, mine especially. But, just when I think I would rather just curl up, the sun comes out and rejuvenates me. This morning after studying, I went grocery shopping. Equipped with my backpack and another bag inside it, I headed out. I usually end up taking the bus one stop more than I am supposed to because I haven't figured out which one goes where in this area. Sure enough, I had to walk a long way back for the little western store I frequent. I can get cheddar cheese, bagels, muffins, oatmeal and get this, Campbells soup!!! And it is about .50 per can! Tomorrow I am making chicken tetrazzini. That is so cool! After that with my backpack so full I could barely zip it, I headed to the real market. Oh yeah, I bought a huge stockpot too. Only one hand was free and I was already leaning backwards from the weight of the backpack. I found strawberries, raw peanuts, onions, bokchoy and napa cabbage. That filled the extra bag I brought. Then I had to carry it all the way home and up the first LONG flight of stairs. The elevator saved me the rest of the way. Doing this weekly has built up my strength quite a bit. Now I have a huge pot of peanuts boiling on the stove. Can you smell them? A little bit of the south here in the east! Frank had a guy fixing the internet here most of the day. He is really nice. It took about four hours to get everything set up, then he told us there was no charge. "We are friends", he said. WOW! He sat and talked for awhile, then came into the kitchen to see what I bought. Then he opened up the fridge and the freezer. He wanted to know what foreigners eat. I guess he was satisfied that we weren't too strange. So funny!

3 comments:

  1. Too funny. Now that is a difference in culture. If you chat up a service person here, they expect a BIGGER TIP!! I would let someone look in my fridge if it meant free technical support. By the way, I will be over in a couple of hours to share in the peanuts!!! LOL (I wish) You should get a sunlamp to have for those icky days. Take care!!!Love ya, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. GLAD TO KNOW YOU ARE EATING WELL....I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE AN OPEN-AIR MARKET DOWN THE STREET FROM ME...MMMMMMM...I CAN SMELL THE PEANUTS...THEY ARE ALMOST READY...LOTS OF LOVE,
    R & N ELLIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please pass the peanuts....oh and the weather is just a miserable here so you really aren't missing out in that department. That was the bright side...how am I doing?-Sharon

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.