Monday, March 7, 2011

War Diary by Sun Yi (Joe)

This is an essay that one of our English students wrote for Frank's Writing class (I have corrected most of the grammar):
"War Diary
May 24th 19xx
Our squad has stayed on this island for 2 months. We almost ran out of supplies. If we use up either the ammo or food, we all have to die.
Today we ran into a team of enemies. Our captain ordered us to kill them, even though they didn't return fire. I didn't pull the trigger, so after that captain shout at me, he said, "To be kind to the enemy is to be cruel to the people." When I search their bodies, I realize they don't have any weapons and ammo, but they have some food.
I found a family photo which was stained with blood. I wiped the blood carefully and I saw a father holding a baby stood next to his wife. I took out my old family photo and compared the two photos. God! It's almost the same. I couldn't remember how many family have I ruined. I only know I want to go home.
Tomorrow will be the last war, I'm not sure if I can keep alive. If you see this note, I must be dead, please bury the note with me. I don't want anybody to read this, especially my children. I don't want them to know their father was a murderer, not a hero."
-Yes, I know! Wow! The young people in China are fascinated by violence in all its forms. They spend hours playing war games and other violent video games we couldn't bear to see from the corner of our eye. Walking down the street, you see military uniforms and fatigues everywhere, even worn by everyday workers and guards at apartment complexes. But out of this war craze comes a voice, a voice of peace, a voice of realization, a voice of pittance. Great job Joe! How many other young people here have these feelings tucked away inside?
Blue Embossed Dragonfly Leather Journal - Lined

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing your comments but due to the semi-private nature of this blog we do moderate them. Please help us out by keeping your comments secular.